Featured Post

It's an ex-uBeam...

Just shy of its 10th birthday and with between $40 and $48 million of investment (estimated), it appears uBeam (recently Sonic Energy ) has ...

Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Expert

I've been meaning to post this video for some time. It was sent to me a year or so ago, and I actually couldn't make it all the way through, I think it was some form of "Startup PTSD". Fortunately I got over it pretty quickly, and I just marvel at the insight and genius. Truly awesome work.

 

1 comment:

  1. I love this video. I've seen this kind of stuff in Tech startups. Very sad but true.

    Here's a real world example: (I wish I could make this stuff up.)

    Client: We offer our customers a backup solution.
    Me: Walk me through the configuration of your data backup strategy.
    Client: We backup the C:\ on the servers.
    Me: Is all of the customer data stored on the C:\ drive?
    Client: No, it's stored on the data drive E:\
    Me: Do you back those up?
    Client: No.
    Me: Why not?
    Client: Those drives contain terabytes of data and would take up too much space on our backup appliance.
    Me: (trying not to have a stroke) So let me be sure I understand this correctly. You offer your clients a data protection solution. That does not protect the customers data?
    Client: Silence (I am pretty sure they are trying to figure out what I am seeing that they didn't).
    Me: Let me restate the problem. If the E:\ drive fails or the customer deletes or corrupts its data. You have no capability to restore it.
    Client: I guess we should change this?
    Me: Yes, immediately. (Thinking to self: These people are criminally incompetent and their customers are suckers.)

    ReplyDelete